Thursday, January 25, 2007

Expatriatism

I can put most Westerner residents in Chiang Mai into one of three categories: 1) young and with a Thai girlfriend, settling down to start a new life in a cheaper country; 2) old and retired, looking for easy living; 3) backpackers of any age, pausing while on an Asian saga of undetermined length. The first two want to stay in Thailand for good, and the latter couldn't say where they'll end up.

What this means is that I am in the tiny minority of farangs in Chiang Mai with concrete plans to return to my own country. This has led to many frustrating conversations for me. I will talk to some guy at a bar, or maybe a fellow teacher, and we will agree of the cheapness of Thailand and the easy living and the great weather and the beautiful Thai girls. And then I will tell him that I don't plan on staying more than a few more months here. People will look at me with pity, like it's a shame I don't really understand Thailand. I have heard from people how they backpacked through here, returned home to make some money, and then when they were able they moved here permanently. I know right now that when I leave here it won't be to come back permanently later. I will just leave and go home.

I end up feeling defensive that even after seeing the beautiful and easy Thailand, I still prefer my own country. But I don't think that's so strange. People travel all the time and return home better for it. I'm travelling because I want to go home, because I want the life I already have to be improved by this travelling.

Guys here speak of finally finding real happiness after years of wasted time in their home countries. They talk about falling in love with Thai girls and finally getting motivated to get a job and settle down. I say take happiness where you can find it, and I've learned a lot talking to these guys, but there is still nothing that I want to escape from in my current life and that sets me apart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home